A Travellerspoint blog

Amboseli and more

Our travel companions are now, Kristin and Ross, Ian also from England- his job was made redundant (layoff) so he has decided to travel for 6 months. Dean and I are starting to feel lazy in our minimal 3 weeks. Our van had an unfortunate run in with one of the many ruts, bumps and wholes in the road. Broken axel in the middle of national park. So the next morning one of the other safari companies took us out with their people. It worked out fine.

Camp here is tents on concrete slabs with beds. No electricity. At night there was an gianormous canopy of stars. Dean and I found it very fun to be standing outside our tent brushing our teeth under so many stars. Just gorgeous.

The van was repaired after another day and we headed out to Tsavo West...another 8 hours. The roads are not exactly paved. We had moments of pavement but generally you are driving on red dirt and rocks. It makes for bumpy slow going. We got to see some of Tsavo and that night our cook, Simon, prepared a great meal. He works for the safari companies whenever he can to earn money. He is putting himself through chef school so he can hopefully get good work. He is married with 3 children but his family lives very far from Nairobi near Mount Kenya. He gets to go home every 6 months or so to see them. Nairobi is to expensive and unsafe for his family. We celebrated his 46th birthday with him.

We had another run in with our driver, Lenny because although Tsavo, has rhino sanctuary, a lava flow, caves, and waterfall, we were told we would be leaving early in the morning and not see any of it. little bit angry must say. To appease the whole group, he did take us back to the park the next morning. We looked for black rhinos desperately without success. Guess what we did then.... that's right drive 6 hours back to Nairobi to drop off people then head out another 3 hours to get to Navasha.

But the great thing is it is now our driver Lenny and Dean and I. Lenny says he wants us to be happy, whatever we want. So our hotel here is great, hot water, electricity, good food and good beds. We told him we wanted a whole day in Hell's Gate today and we got it. It was fabulous. It is the only park you can walk and bike in.

We got there about 9AM, rented bikes and pedaled past zebra, water buffulo, warthogs and the like on a 7km ride to the Gorge. Our bikes were functional, except no gear switching and Dean had no brakes but who needs those. At the Gorge we hired a guide who took us on a 3 hour hike, rock climbing, over, under, wet, dry, mud tour of the gorge. It was great. We loved every minute of it. Then a return bike back out. We stopped at Fischers Tower, a large rock 25m tall. There we sat and caught up or journals while a very curious Rock Hyroxes (small brown furry thing) came to check us out.

We got back to our hotel. Lenny is happy, we are happy and then we found this internet cafe to boot! Some days are just to good for words.

Posted by Anadean 08:34

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

This blog requires you to be a logged in member of Travellerspoint to place comments.